WLSS School Program
W̱SÁNEĆ Leadership Secondary School (WLSS) is a warm and welcoming place for both students and teachers alike. Teachers greet students enthusiastically in the hallways as they enter the school each day, and the day begins with a morning meeting where the whole school gathers to share information about the activities and special events for the day and join together for drumming, singing, and an awakening of the spirit.
Our School Day
The school day begins early at 8:15 a.m., and ends at 2:45 p.m. on Monday through Thursday. On Fridays, following student electives and outdoor education field studies, classes end at 1:25 p.m., at which time students head home for a well-deserved weekend break, while the staff get together in their collaborative teams to review student progress, new curricular initiatives, and school growth planning.
The instructional day on Monday through Thursday is divided into 4 large blocks of time, accommodating two classes in the morning and two more in the afternoon following a 40 minute lunch break. On Fridays, morning classes for the middle school and morning and afternoon classes for the high school alternate to allow sufficient time for out-of-school land-based, field studies. Longer blocks of uninterrupted time allow students and teachers to focus consistently on learning. Class sizes are purposely small to enable teachers and support staff to provide individual and small group instruction to all of their students.
The curriculum is rich, challenging, and diverse, providing students with instruction in:
Ministry of Education core curriculum:
- Social Studies
- Language Arts (in two languages - English and SENĆOŦEN)
- Physical Education
- Personal Planning
- SENĆOŦEN Language
- Coast Salish Art and Culture
- Traditional Basket Weaving
- Outdoor Education
- Team Sport
- Indoor Climbing
Throughout the year students also enjoy field trips to historic sites, outdoor classrooms, museums, theatres, and galleries, as well as participating in a variety of celebrations, festivals, competitions, workshops, exchanges, and community events to enrich and enhance their schooling experience.
WLSS School Staff 2015 - 2016
WLSS has a highly qualified and experienced teaching and support staff that very much enjoys teaching energetic, young adults, and takes great pride in a quality education for all their students.
Teachers: At the secondary school level, teachers offer their expertise in specialized subject areas and together provide students with a well-rounded educational experience:
- Niske Blake - English Language Arts, Physical Education, and Special Education/Peer Counselling
- John Elliott - SENĆOŦEN Language Arts, Coast Salish Art and Culture, Outdoor Education
- Berkeley Lott - Science, Social Studies, Cooking, Personal Planning
- Cora McGuire - Mathematics, Physical Education, Sewing, Information Technology
- Ian Sam - SENĆOŦEN Language Arts, Coast Salish Art and Culture, Outdoor Education
Support Staff: Often in the background but always at the center of student learning is a very dedicated and hard-working group of educators:
- Shelley Black - Educational Assistant, Complex Needs
- Penac - SENĆOŦEN Language and Culture Assistant
- Sonia Paul - Educational Assistant, Complex Needs
- John Wilson - Home-School Coordinator
WLSS Values and Guiding Principles
- Encouraging the holistic growth and well-being of students
- Exposing students to diverse opportunities outside of the classroom
- Providing one-on-one and small group support to foster the individual strengths and needs of each student
- Creating a learning environment that balances respect, consideration, leadership, discipline, and hard work with an overall sense of enjoyment and curiosity.
- Balancing the needs of every student to make learning successful
- Creating an atmosphere of excitement about learning
- Providing a positive system for each student
- Creating opportunities for guided leadership
8:15 Morning Meeting
8:30 Block A Class
10:05 Block B Class
12:05 Block C Class
1:25 Block D Class (Friday – Early Dismissal)
2:45 Dismissal (Monday to Thursday)